Friday, October 12, 2007

Sleep training 101

I need help from experienced moms out there. (Unless your name is Erica and your baby did this all on her own!! You know I love you Erica! haha) I have completed night #2 in my attempt to get Kate to stop waking up at night. She is now 5 1/2 months old and wakes up at 2:30 and 6:30 to eat...just like she has since she was about 2 weeks old. I think this is just out of habit and not out of hunger so I am trying to get rid of this night feeding. The first night she woke up at 2:33 and cried for 17 minutes (who was counting??) Then went back to sleep until 6:30. It wasn't too bad for me to hear her cry. I did surprisingly well with it. Well then last night she woke up at 1:30 and cried for 15 minutes. Then she woke up again at 4:30 and I put the pacifier in her mouth. (is that cheating?) She then woke up at 6:30. So as I head into night #3 is there anything else I need to know from all you experienced moms out there? We'll try again tonight and see how it goes. Any mom's with any advice, just let me know!

2 comments:

Allison said...

You could go into her and pat her back or rub it but don't talk. I had to do this with my kids. If you talk they get more out of it than comfort. Just say shhhh shhhh shhhh and pat or rub her back. Then after a couple minutes walk out. I think it's all habit too. It's hard though. Seriously, Mason just started sleeping through the night when he was about 1 1/2 no lie!!! So maybe my advice isn't good but it did work when I finally decided I was done getting up in the night. Also, do you have a baby monitor to hear her? If so, don't use that anymore. You'll be able to hear her without a monitor and if you don't hear her, she'll most likley calm herself and fall asleep. babies really do best when they can calm themselves. Sorry this is so long but I feel your pain!

Kristin said...

When we moved to TX, Avery was 7 months and still woke up once during the middle of the night, but I also knew it was out of habit, but, because we are on the opposite side of the house, we have to use a monitor, so what we did, was when she woke up, I'd turn the monitor off, I'd set my cell phone alarm for 15 minutes, then turn the monitor back on when the 15 minutes was over, and most of the time she was asleep when my cell alarm went off... I'd say you are lucky, some babies can cry for a couple hours, 17 minutes, no prob!

Anyway, that seems to be what you're doing anyway, but also, is she eating any solids? If not, she might actually be hungry at 6:30. When she's on solids, she should be able to go longer... good luck though!