Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Me time

I rarely (if ever) take space on this blog JUST FOR ME!! But I wanted to share my new experiences with working out :)

After a fun vacation to Michigan to visit my BFF Erica in March, I started working out at my local YMCA. It has been SO much fun! They have childcare in the mornings so we go 3 times a week for an hour. I started jogging on the treadmill and LOVE it!! I have never jogged before in my life and would have never got on a treadmill. But now I love pushing myself further and further. I started jogging at like 5 miles per hour for 1.5 miles...but now I jog at 6 mph for 3 miles :) I do realize this is nothing compared to you runners out there!! But it's an accomplishment for me!! And I LOVE to do running intervals at 7.5 mph for 1-2 minutes. It's almost euphoric. It feels so great. I use a few of the other machines for my arms and legs and the yoga ball for my abs.

I realized with (at the time) a 6 month old baby that it was time to get my baby back into pre-baby shape. I don't necessarily feel the need to lose weight but just to tone my mommy body. However, I have lost 6 pounds :) I'm not too willing to change too much about my diet so it's not going to melt off me! I have tried to be a little more health conscious. (Little being the KEY word!) I just want to be healthier and more in shape. Plus I LOVE the hour I get to myself a few times a week!!

Thanks Erica for helping me change!! I hope to stay in shape and continue to take care of my body!

6 comments:

Katie Rod said...

Jen, that is so great!! Congrats on getting faster and feeling yourself getting stronger. And the weight loss is always a plus, right?? :)

Cassi said...

Awesome! I too love the euphoric feeling of working out. There's not a lot that can compare to it. Plus, its so nice to get an hour break doing something your body needs, and doing something that YOU want to do. When I was looking for a gym I didn't even consider the ones without childcare. Its my out for the day, I love it! I've been totally into this kickboxing class lately and love the feeling when I'm done. So happy that you found something you love!

Erica said...

yay for you. running 3 miles at 6 mph with sprint intervals is all i do and i've been running for a long time now - so WAY TO GO!!!

maybe you'll be wanting to run a 1/3 marathon with me in sept.... :)

Sharon said...

I'm so glad you are getting you time.You really deserve to have time for you with all that you do having the kids both at home and being a great Mom.i know our Mom would be so proud of the women you have grown to be.I love you keep up the good work.I know I have been excising everyday and walking too and feel so good.maybe we can both do a walk next year.lol

EatRunWorkPlay said...

Good job girl! That is awesome! ME TIME is the best, no matter what you're doing!

Alys said...

That is really good. I need to try running again. It's not my favorite thing, but I do feel better when I do it. If you keep this up you will definitely get your mommy body in good shape. And, it is nice to have a break. I love my time at night when I put Harrison down.