Saturday, January 10, 2009

Snowed in and Locked out


So today involved several things: being snowed in and being locked out. First we can start with the snow. It snowed 10 inches here between last night and this afternoon. I went outside before Dustin got home from work to shovel the driveway so he could get into the garage. That was NOT going to happen. I had no idea how much snow was out there or how hard it is to shovel that much snow! The plow truck had plowed our road leaving about 2 feet of snow blocking our driveway. I bundled up Kate and myself and headed out! To no avail...it was very hard work and Kate HATES the snow. She cried nearly the entire time.
Backing up to breakfast around 8:15 this morning we get to the locked out part of my day. Kate is eating her breakfast (her second bowl of cereal) and I'm getting bored so I decide to go downstairs in the basement and turn the computer on so we can go down there after breakfast. I shut the door behind me like a cautious mom so she doesn't fall down the steep wooden steps. She is crying because I left her and is trying to open the door to come down. I get back upstairs and try to open the door to get back into the kitchen and the door is locked. She must have turned the lock while turning the handle. So my mind races. I don't have my cell phone or anyone to call for that matter. No house keys downstairs. Kate won't cooperate in turning the lock for me! But this story obviously has a happy ending...as of course I'm not sitting downstairs blogging while Kate is upstairs by herself crying still! I remembered this house has a keyless entry into the garage. And I remembered the code the owners set for it since we haven't changed it yet. Then I trudged through 10 inches of snow in my pj's, barefeet with slippers to get in the house. Happy ending.

Some pics of the snow today:
Here Kate is desperately saying "all done" and "uppa". This is our driveway by the way...the snow is up past Kate's knees.



This is how bad Kate hates to snow. She even hates Dustin out sled riding in it!

3 comments:

Katie Rod said...

oh my lands...that is crazy!!! I have never seen that much snow fall in one day. Good luck with the shoveling.

Unknown said...

That was a lot of snow! I am so glad there was a happy ending to that. That is so stressful to be locked out while a baby is inside, especially in the cold and snow! So funny how she hates the snow. What a cutie.

Katie said...

That video is so funny! She seemed so concerned! Hey, I have kind of a random question. Didn't you know the girl who makes those nursing covers like the one you gave me? Do you have any contact info for her...an email address or website or anything? Let me know if you do. Thanks! And good luck with all of that snow!