Thursday, July 15, 2010

July 15th is a very hard day for me. It has been for the past 12 years and I'm certain it will be for as long as I live. 12 years ago today, my mom died of cancer. I cannot imagine what my life would be like or who I would be if this tragic event had not happened to me. I am forever changed because of it. I think of her often. At times it seems as though its been so long and its hard to remember the feelings and the pain and other times it feels as long it was just yesterday.

I've done a pretty good job of hiding my emotions for the past 10 or so years. I've bottled it all up...or actually just gotten rid of all emotions all together. Easier that way, I presumed. That way there would be no getting hurt. I've recently had a new resolve to try to love with more of my heart and feel the pain that exists as a result of tragedy or heartache in my life. I cried so much for the first 2 years after my mom died that one day I decided that was it. And I've really never cried much since then. About much of anything.

No more feelings equals no more pain. I now realize, 10 years later, that is no way to live.

My mom was a fantastic woman. I know she would have loved my kids. They would have loved to go to nana's house to visit. I would have loved to call her for advice. I would love more than anything to... You could insert almost anything into the end of that sentence. My hearts aches tonight knowing that I will never be able to do any of those things. I will never see her, speak to her in person, hug her, eat dinner with her, be embarrassed to go yard saling with her, or see her smile on this Earth again.

I love you, Mom and miss you terribly.

7 comments:

Katie Rod said...

Thanks for your honesty in this post. This is something I will be inevitably dealing with in the coming years and I just really don't know how people (especially daughters) deal with such a tragic event.

As a mom, I think it's hard to just sit and process these life altering events because at their age, they just don't know what's going on and what's wrong with Mommy. It's great that you've got a good hubby and lots of family to keep you going. I hope the years will continue to get better and you'll be able to help others in need cope as well.

Alys said...

Emotions are not a bad thing. I think is it great you are honest and working on this. Some things will affect you for ever, like you losing your mother. And, my parents got divorced when I was 19. 8 years later I still cry about it on occasion. I had a miscarriage in 2006, and I get emotional about that too. While my husband would like it if I never cried, I can't. It is how I deal with my emotions. That and talking to someone about it. So, again, I think it is good that you are writing about how you feel on your blog. I think that will help you a lot.

Unknown said...

my heart goes out to you on this. Thank you so much for sharing.

Kristyn said...

I love this post, and I love you. I sometimes think the same thing that feeling less equals no pain. But you're right, it's not the best way to live. I should remember that. And cry more often. :)

Erica said...

my heart is breaking for you. i can't begin to imagine the hurt that comes along with such a tragic event. but please know that it's okay and good to feel things. even if they're not things we want to feel. we're human and i think part of that is what allows us to connect to other humans. just know that if you want to cry and let it all out - i'm all ears.

Allison said...

Honesty is great! Letting it all out really helps me with things. You are one strong lady! Adorable babies by the way!!!

Mrs. S said...

Thanks for sharing. Reading that reminded me a bit about my brother's death and how I reacted to that. It took me a while to come back emotionally from that. Love you!